On July 14, 2020 I sent media inquiry to the major Canadian media outlets in Canada about hate crimes committed by Black people against White people that are often overlooked and ignored. As of July 15, 2020 none responded to the media inquiry.
- CBC News, Brodie Fenlon, Editor in Chief, email@example.com
- CTV, Jackie Vandinther, Digital Content Editor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Global News, James Armstrong, Managing Editor email@example.com
- Toronto Star: Irene Gentle, Editor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Globe and Mail, David Walmsley, Editor-in-Chief email@example.com
- Toronto Sun, Adrienne Batra, Editor in Chief firstname.lastname@example.org
- 680 News, Amber LeBlanc, News Director email@example.com
- City News, Ian Meikle, Editor firstname.lastname@example.org
Canadian media ignores Black hate crimes against White people
On July 13, 2020 Fox News published a news report by Bradford Betz under the title “Indiana woman shot, killed after argument with Black Lives Matter supporters, family says.”
The news report reads:
An Indiana woman was fatally shot earlier this month following an alleged argument between her family and a group of Black Lives Matter supporters, her family says.
The woman, 24-year-old Jessica Doty Whitaker, was walking along Indianapolis Canal Walk with her fiancé, Jose Ramirez, and two other people around 3 a.m. on July 5 when someone in their group used a racial slur, Fox 59 reported.
A group of nearby strangers overheard the comment and confronted Whitaker’s group, according to the station.
Ramirez alleged that the group shouted “Black Lives Matter,” to which either Whitaker or someone else in their group reportedly responded with, “All Lives Matter.”
A brief argument ensued until both sides separated after realizing the other was armed, Fox 59 reported. Ramirez claimed that both sides managed to resolve the argument before separating.
But minutes later, someone reportedly opened fire from a nearby bridge, striking Whitaker, before running away, the station said.
“It was squashed, and they went up the hill and left we thought, but they were sitting on St. Clair waiting for us to come under the bridge and that’s when she got shot,” Ramirez said.
Ramirez admitted to returning fire but did not hit anyone. He told Fox 59 that he has had to explain what happened to Whitaker’s 3-year-old son.
“It’s hard to tell him his mom is in heaven and if you want to talk to her you have to look up and say, ‘I love you mom,’” Ramirez said.
Police have not independently verified whether the supposed argument over “Black Lives Matter” occurred or if the fatal shooting was even connected.
Fox News has made multiple attempts to reach out to the Indianapolis Metro Police Department seeking comment.
The shooting marks the second homicide in the canal in a week. Police say they will increase patrols there during overnight hours.
A Google search on the websites of CBC, CTV, Global News, Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, Toronto Sun, 680 News and City News returned zero results.
- Why the murder of Jessica Doty Whitaker by a Black Live Matter supporter was not reported by your media outlet?
- Why doesn’t your media outlet systematically ignore Black hate crime, including violence and murder, against White people and focus almost exclusively on White hate crimes against Black and racialized people?
- What are your editorial guidelines about reporting hate crimes?
An article on this issue will be published soon, so it would be great if you could respond by 5pm July 14, 2020. If more time is required please let me know. Thanks!
Eric Stanley Brazau